WHAT TRUTHFUL FITNESS MARKETING WOULD LOOK LIKE
“Lose 10kg of fat in 24 hours!”
“Get the 6 pack of your dreams in 1 month with 17 minutes of exercise a day”
Bananas I know, but these are the messages we are getting pushed these days and it's out of control.
Just tune into a late night fitness infomercial, read a supplement label at your local nutrition store or look at a fitness personality with a big following on social media and you will know exactly what i'm talking about.
The truth is, we have all been sucked in by these ads at one point in our lives, myself included.
They promise to deliver short, fast and easy results.
But the reality is quite the opposite...
Sometimes I feel a giant wave of frustration crashing down on me when I see over hyped fitness programs and products.
Operating in the shadows of fitness giants with limitless marketing budgets gives me a constant feeling of banging my head against a wall.
But hey, complaining never fixed anything so why not create a truthful message.
ONE most won’t want to hear!
I promise this isn’t turning into a rant piece, but don’t you think if
“Get your 6 pack, with the worlds most effective fat burning workouts ever”
“Earn a million dollars in two months, it’s so easy!”
Claims were actually TRUE everyone would be driving around in Ferarris with 6 pack abs?
The reality is, on average 1-25,000 people have 6 packs and I’m guessing far fewer experience the financial success of 7 figures.
It’s hard work!
Would you really buy some ones product if they wrote,
“Look, this fitness thing, you’re going to be doing it the rest of your life. There’s going to be a lot of day’s where you don’t feel like doing it, where you think it’s easier to sit on the couch. Not only will it take hard work, dedication and consistency, but if you stop for putting in the effort you will go backwards. You’re going to have to eat healthy. Not only are you going to have to eat healthy, you’re going will have to experiment to find what works well for your body.
This will become a constant never ending process of self-evaluation and improvement. You will have to be focused on setting goals and staying accountable.
You will have to find some mentors whether that’s books, videos, coaches or trainers. Expanding your knowledge helps you make informed decisions about training and nutrition. But the good news is, when you become consistent, all that work becomes a way of life, a subconscious reaction in the right direction every single day.”
Now I understand telling people what they want to hear and giving them what they need.
You know, get them in, wow them with the product and service.
But when the products are USELESS that’s when we begin moving backwards as an industry…
We’ve got more doctors, more physical therapists, more hospitals, more fancy gyms, more trainers, more fitness experts than ever in history and we’ve got the most screwed up bodies that we’ve ever had in human history.
Good question, One which deserves a lot of thought.
Fundamentally we need to approach fitness as a whole. I hate to use the term holistic(the concept attached to peoples instagram bio’s after one yoga class and a 3 day juice cleanse. )
My TRUTHFUL version of an add doesn’t sound so sexy…
Here’s what you should be sold
*Focus on sleep quality
* Move well, build strength, mobility and general physical skills
* Develop a base level of breathing skills
* Learn how to meditate
* Focus on eating whole foods
* Check your vitamin, zinc and magnesium levels
* Get outside, be active and socialize
* Spend time in nature
* Train your ass off but don’t over do it
* Take time to enjoy the things you love
* 80% of the time mind what you eat and kick your heals up the other 20%
Oddly enough in our modern society we get these things from experts in isolation. Physio for a rehab program, yoga for meditation, nutritionist for eating, naturopath for supplements, doctors for medication and the list goes on.
*Disclaimer, not against any of these I’m the first to refer when I don’t know something or it’s out of my scope of practice.
What I’m trying to say is that, when you approach the body as a singular unit it’s easier fix things.
Most physical therapists won’t council you on sleep and nutrition. Two thing’s which greatly affect tissue and joint health. Most doctors wont address digestive health and mineral deficencies when someone feels depressed. Everything matters, not in isolation but as a whole.
I’ve gotten off track and slightly long winded, but I think of the impact that GOOD personal trainers can have is HUGE.
Let’s make this a fitter, healthier and happier planet…
Hopefully I’ve help you cut through some of the BS.
Ps. I also really appreciate when you share my content, thanks for reading!
Pss. Make sure you subscribe to my email list so I can send you the latest information on training, nutrition and healthy lifestyle!
Your personal trainer,